SQL 2019 vs. 2017
The SQL Server is a database management system (DBMS) software that helps in managing and creating databases. Before the concept of DBMS, the management of data was no picnic. But due to the advancement in the IT industry, the management system became a popular phenomenon, as businesses became more secured, and data integration became possible. The growing demand for DBMS made Microsoft Corporation launch the first-ever SQL server in 1989.
Microsoft SQL Server, or SQL, soon gained fame, which permitted the company to produce the latest versions after a particular interval. However, from 2012, it is observed that Microsoft is consecutively releasing new SQL versions with a gap of 12 to 24 months. Currently, SQL 2019 is serving the industry, but it is seen that some people are still caught with SQL 2019.
So are you baffled because you are not sure whether to go for the current 2019 SQL version or stick with 2017? Well! Don’t be because you will know the answer at the end of this article. But before that, it is more appropriate to discuss a little about the two SQL editions.
SQL Server 2019
SQL Server 2019 offers solutions for data virtualization which is surely an improvement to the ‘Extract, Transform, and Load’ (ETL), process. Through SQL 2019’s data virtualization feature, integrating data from several resources, such as DB2, Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Cosmos, Oracle, and MongoDB has become simple, as the users can transfer the data directly (without using multiple platforms).
You can also combine heavy data with a traditional or analytical database system. This allows data scientists to easily access any big information with the help of basic T-SQL queries. Also, according to Microsoft’s official SQL Server blog, the new SQL 2019 can develop a coordinated data platform with HDFS and Apache Spark for better performance. So, SQL Server 2019 appears to be good news for the people of the relevant field.
SQL Server 2017
Before 2019, the SQL Server 2017 was considered as one of the finest versions ever produced. Of course, it included new features, which were useful and time-saving, as they helped in fast development as compared to the previous versions. Also, this version came with further additions, such as integration with Python and NoSQL along with compatibility with Linux, and graph processing.
Undoubtedly, SQL Server 2017 is a prominent software of its time. The speedy data management and transferring gained a lot of attention from the users because such facilities were absent in the older editions.
Why Use SQL Server 2019?
Every great feature that ever came in the previous versions of SQL Server is present in SQL 2019. Therefore, it is an all-in-one DBMS that can resolve all your data management problems. So, here’s why you should use SQL Server 2019:
- Reason 1: All the enterprise data is stored in the data lake along with Spark and SQL query capability to the entire data
- Reason 2: The need for ETL is reduced as there is no data movement
- Reason 3: It deploys databases and runs applications across numerous operating platforms and systems with rigid compatibility
- Reason 4: Machine learning applications are protected and integrated with better performance.
- Reason 5: The upgrade risks are found to be decreased
- Reason 6: It includes three major functions:
- Data virtualization
- Managed SQL Server
- Prepared solutions
- Reason 7: There is total support for the entire ‘Persistent Memory’ devices
Why Use SQL Server 2017
SQL Server 2017 comes with many exciting features as compared to the previous versions. So this is why you should go for this version:
- Reason 1: This edition is available for Linux users
- Reason 2: It automatically tunes the database
- Reason 3: The ‘Select Into’ statement is improved
- Reason 4: It is more secure, and has a high disaster recovery function
- Reason 5: The performance is found to be well-improved
Pros and Cons of SQL Server 2019
Pros of SQL Server 2019
Below are some interesting pros of SQL Server 2019:
- Simple schema and modeling development
- Integration is fast through coding tools (Entity Framework)
- Availability of optimization tools
- Access to multiple databases in a single query window
- Manageable data exploring
- Simple commanding language
- Multiple options for disaster recovery
- Speedy switching between databases
- Improved SSRS reporting tools
- The most user-friendly database software
Cons of SQL Server 2019
Yes! There are some insufficiencies too, such as:
- Expensive pricing
- Complex migrations
- Many tools, like IntelliSense, decreases the speed of query writing
- Limited copy-paste of data
- Lack of built-in formulas
Pros and Cons of SQL Server 2017
Pros of SQL Server 2017
Microsoft SQL Server 2017, although an old version, has some useful characteristics, such as:
- It is compatible with multiple platforms, such as Linux, Windows, and macOS
- Includes hybrid cloud models
- Shields data from unethical intruders and cybercriminals
Cons of SQL Server 2017
- Lack of Big data clusters
- Does not support in-memory database
- No intelligent performance
- The screen often hangs while booting the server
- No assistance for Artificial Intelligence
Advantages of SQL Server 2019
- Advanced features, like the presence of Big Data Clusters
- Enhanced performance
- Sharp database
- Fast database recovery
- High encryption
- Supports multiple operating systems
- Improved monitoring
- Unicode and possibility of language extensions
Advantages of SQL Server 2017
- Flexibility in using familiar languages
- Simultaneous transaction processing
- Simple migration
- Improved protection
Imagining the world without any DBMS is just not possible. No one can ignore the fact that SQL Server is the need of every business because it helps in stabilizing its existence, not only through record keeping but also by transferring the information and data with complete safety. Microsoft SQL Server 2019 versus SQL Server 2017 is an extremely long debate. Some users are satisfied with 2017’s version, while on the contrary, the majority of the users are found to be using the latest release of SQL Server (2019). On taking the things logically, you will be assured that the recent edition has a variety of options. And because it is the latest release, therefore, it has countless new features, which are great to serve all the development needs.