WINDOWS SERVER 2019
What is Windows Server?
Windows Server is an assembly of operating systems that is designed by Microsoft. It supports communications, enterprise-level management, applications and data storage. Many versions of this server are released; the first version was Windows NT 3.1 and now windows server 2019 and in all these versions they have improved with some additional features. These serversare designed in a ways that theycompetently handle Internet/intranet hosting, business networking, enterprise level messaging, databases and other similar functions.
Features of Windows Server 2019
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 is a very competent server and is purely based on Windows Server 2016. The product was released last year but the final release including all the updated features was through long-term servicing channel (LTSC). The installation of windows server 2019 can be possible either with or without Graphical User Interface (GUI). The Semi-Annual channel (SAC) release is designed for Nano Server Container and Server Core Deployment.The release of this latest version of windows server is very appealing to IT professional due to the additional functional features. The advancements of the latest server are purely based upon Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI), Network Security, Hybrid Cloud and Application Platform. The new features of Windows Server 2019 are
- Network Security
- Windows Server 2019 have improved security network and it includes Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) feature which is innovative as well as improved malware protection feature. It automatically blocks and signals about any possible malicious attack. This ATP is now capable of host interference which is known to be as Exploit Guard. This guard will allow you to enable the server that are less prone to attack, have more network protection feature and have very controlled folder access. This guard is also called as host guardian system (HGS).
- Microsoft server 2019 also uses shielded virtual machines (VMs)as an additional protection feature. Many subtle activities can be completed in these protected machines. It prevents hackers to get access to the hard disk data, restart command and preventing the migration VMs and running shutdown. Thus feature is now applicable to Linux servers, which are encrypted in the same way. Moreover, the security options have been extended in a way that the migration of data between the virtual machines is also protected.
- Linux Support
Windows server 2019 have the facility of running mixed operating system environments i.e. the Linux and Windows containers can run on the same host. Linux incorporation is very easy and along with it also supports SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Due to this feature those application that were destined only for Linux can also run on this server.
- System Insight
System Insight is an important tool present in the latest version. This tool enables the predictive analytical abilities of the Windows Server 2019. It scrutinizes the requirements of the resources and warns through message prior to the worst situations related to the working of your servers. This all activity enables the reduction of functional costs that is related to the reactive approach for the management of the problems in your windows Server placements.
Ø Windows Admin Center (WAC)
It is a graphical console for the management of the server and is not entirely a new feature. This feature can be easily described as a total reconstruction of user interface (UI). This is locally or remotely operated software and is controlled by the browsers for the management of the servers, hyper converged infrastructures (HCI), Azure VMs and backup, Hyper-V Servers, Windows 10 PCs and clusters. It can also be used distantly and enables the organizations to control the linked hardware. The HCI not only gives an insight and detailing of the clusters in appropriate console but also the information of discrete cluster node and also the virtual machines (VMs) protection. The starting point of hybrid cloud situation can also be organized through WAC only by connecting with Azure.
The new version includes the modification of the storage capacity and features. The most important features related to the storage are storage migration service, storage spaces direct and storage replica.
1. Storage migration service is a new feature that enables the users to update and transfer all the files and configuration settings including ownerships, NTFS permissions and shares to the newer version. It is comparatively easy migration and can be performed in Azure cloud.
2. Storage Space Direct is an improved and updated feature and this is more swift and stable. It enables the constructionof scalable and accessible storing space with the use of servers with local storage. The scalability has also improved with 4 petabytes per cluster.
3. Storage Replica is also an added feature in which the synchronized imitation takes place between servers and clusters for the retrieval of the data. This feature enables the replication of data in physical sites to avoid and data loss. It is interesting to know that one mirroring of the data is created with a size of about 2 terabytes maximum.
Ø Hybrid Cloud and Azure
In this latest version the linking of Azure cloud and Windows Server have been improved. This connection is also extended form the linking not only to the admin center but also to the cloud computing platform. This feature swiftly launches a connection Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection between Azure and hybrid cloud with some configuration settings. This enables a support for azure services like backup, site recovery, management of updates, files synchronization and disaster recovery. The tools that operate through the cloud are related to security features.
Ø Containers and Kubernetes
- Container networking in the latest version hasgreatly improved the usage of kubernetes by increasing the recovery of platform networking and by supporting the plugins of container networking. The improved features of containers is that the
- Integrated identity has been improved and made more reliable
- Compatibility with application has made better
- Size on the disk and startup time is improved
- Easy recognition and management with the use of WAC.
- Kubernetes have much important role than before in a way that the workloads on kubernetes are able to protect both Linux and Windows with using embedded network security tool. It is due to kubernetes that the containers of Linux, Hyper-V, Docker and Windows Server can now be operates together.
Pros and Cons
- The hybrid cloud in the new version covers a lot about the security manageable Azure services.
- The software defined storage capacity is cost efficient as compared to the on spot hardware based elucidations.
- It provides a strongbase for the development of future data centers.
- The storage capacity is improved a lot in the new version which enables the users for the fast recovery of the stored data and files crashed accidentally.
- The multifaceted pricing is challenging to decrypt
- The windows admin center has some holes regarding some extensibility features.
- The desktop version of graphical user interface shared some Windows 10 bugs.
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 has come up with some additional and some improved and updated characteristics as of the previous ones. This version should be updated by the IT admin and it gives the risk free opportunity to upgrade. You can see Windows Server 2019 prices and learn more at Pckeys.